23 Jul 2018
Full time /
up to 4 days per week
Course Entry Requirements
- It is recommended that students have a strong interest in outdoor pursuits / personal outdoor experience or outdoor recreation industry experience
- It is highly recommended that students have an adequate level of physical fitness prior to enrolling. During this course you will be required to participate in a number of outdoor adventure activities including high ropes, canoeing and bushwalking with a pack. You should be aware these activities have a degree of risk associated with them. If you are concerned your level of physical fitness is not sufficient, please contact the course coordinator on 1300 656 188.
Please note: Employers may require you to be over 18 years of age on completion of this program to be employed in the industry. Additional restrictions or eligibility criteria may also apply.
34 Lady Musgrave Drive
Mountain Creek QLD 4557
Please see the relevant documents section for any relevant booklists, uniform and resource kit lists required for this course.
It is recommended that students have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland East Coast's online learning system, and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player.
This equipment and software is available for students to use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
This program is delivered with a significant amount of practical training in the outdoors and is combined with on-campus classes, online and workbook activities and work experience. You will spend multiple nights out on field trips participating in and learning about outdoor activities and leadership.
In addition to the scheduled class time, students should allow up to 15 hours per week to undertake personal study and research to complete learning and assessments.
Please note: the timetable for future intakes may differ to the current schedule.
Please note: this program is delivered over 2 Semesters, Semester 1 is a full time work load, Semester 2 is part-time so you can work in the outdoor recreation industry while you study.
Approximately 20 days of work experience is required for successful completion of this program.
Blue Card: Commission for Children and Young People Act 2000 (Qld) contains a new law to help ensure that people seeking to work with children are suitable. This is called 'the working with children check'. Any person wanting to work in regulated employment, as a paid employee, a volunteer, or a person carrying on a regulated business, will have to fill out a Blue Card application form consenting to a criminal history check prior to his or her appointment or engagement (See ‘Relevant Documents below). Further details can be obtained at the following link for Blue Card Services or by telephone on 1800 688 275 (Free call). Students will be unable to attend Vocational Placement until they hold a valid Blue Card.
To complete the blue card or exemption card application process you will need to:
1. Prepare your application form online from here. Please see this Blue Card and exemption card application information sheet for all details that you will need to complete this document.
2. Download and print a copy of your application once completed.
3. Have your identification documents checked and verified by an authorised representative from our organisation.
4. Make sure our organisation’s representative has signed the application form, and listed the identification documents sighted
5. Submit your completed application to a TAFE Queensland representative.
Once enrolled the application will be lodged with Blue Card Services for processing and final approval
First Aid: HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid is included in the delivery of this course. Students who have completed their first aid with another provider must provide proof of completion for credit transfer.